Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grace and the G20


I love my freedom of speech!

I am so grateful that I can voice my opinion freely in this wonderful country.

As you may know from my earlier posts, I live in the Toronto area. As you may also know, this past weekend Toronto hosted the 2010 G20 leaders' meeting.

The media exploded and reported on a city that had been invaded with rioters, violence, and destruction. Social media outlets followed (I am obviously on Blogger right now discussing it!). However, the message being spread is quite skewed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not standing on my soapbox denying any destruction or violence in the wake of the meetings. But, I do think that the sensationalization of these particular events can cause more harm than good. The overgeneralization of any group (be it a protestor or a police officer, in this case) is backwards. A handful of people acted horrendously. Not all protestors are destructive, just as not all police officers are bullies. Most demonstrations were peaceful, the RCMP even helped organizations plan them!

I am grateful for the police officers that keep my community safe, just as I am grateful for protestors that peacefully fight for what they believe in. I wouldn't have the freedom, and safety that I have without either.

So, a 'Thank You' to those that both protect and convey the freedom and rights that I have. I wouldn't be writing this blog without you.


Love across the board,


Michelle xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment