Thursday, June 3, 2010

Love in a Tupperware Container

I woke up this morning with a fresh attitude and hungover pride from actually starting this blog. As I got ready to catch the bus for work, I was curious as to what I would write about today. Where would I find my daily love in this great big world?

Chuckling to one of my favourite podcasts, I rolled into work only to be bombarded with stress, e-mails, and a really rude lady who wandered into our office lost (and decided to blame me). Not to mention the pouring rain all day. Needless to say, by noon I was feeling the beginnings of a bad mood. My saving grace: Lunch. Leftover pizza from the night before. And let me tell you I love Leftovers. It may sound uninspiring, but it's true.

My love for leftovers is four-fold, and I will explain why:

1. The obvious. SO many things taste better the next day. Double baked potatoes? Pizza reheated in a toaster oven? Casseroles where the hardened cheese gets all melty? ANY dessert? Delicious!

2. The kudos. They are the ultimate compliment to the chef. Last weekend, my brother (an actual aspiring chef) made the most delicious baklava. Warm, buttery, nutty and the perfect amount of sweet. It was SO good that I took two pieces home - and he happily obliged because asking someone for leftovers is like announcing to them and all present that; "that meal was so extremely delicious that I want to eat it again tomorrow" (and in my case, the next day too!)

3. The sacrifice. My awesome boyfriend (the ultimate foodie) and I ordered pizza last night. When our pizza got down to three small squared thin slice pieces, he declared that he was done and that the leftovers would be perfect for my lunch today. That's love. Not going in for that last "finisher" slice is one thing, but giving up the only leftovers without a fight, or even a second thought? Love.

4. The dish trade. Right about now, I am sure you've realized that I have some pretty stellar people in my life. But, I have to give honorable mention to my aunt Peggy. I have a collection of random dishes and containers from this wonderful woman from all of the leftovers that she has given me over the years. She has perfected the art! After holidays, I would trudge back to university carrying 3-8 frozen MEALS all smothered in gravy and ready to be heated up. She takes the top prize because her leftovers come with the loving knowledge that I almost always forget to return the container/dish that it came in.


So readers, while I ate my leftover pizza - so thoughtfully put aside by my boyfriend today (which I even noticed was dressed more to my liking than to his) I thought about all of the love that surrounds a simple thing like leftovers. If you can find amore in leftover lasagna, you can find it anywhere.

Fully Yours,

Michelle xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment